20 Nov 2023
Oak Island has been renowned for years for its slow pace and relaxing charm. The natural beauty of the area makes guests come back year after year. However, without doing our part to protect the natural landscape, it could all go away. By approaching your vacation with an eco-friendly mindset, we can set up future generations to get as much joy and fun out of Oak Island as we always have.
Coastal Vacation Resorts is proud to support eco-friendly travel. We have partnered with the North Carolina Coastal Land Trust to provide our guests the opportunity to help protect the local habitat and we want to show you how you can enjoy vacation responsibly as well. Guests of Coastal Vacation Resorts have raised tens of thousands of dollars in donations with their bookings for the benefit of the North Carolina Coastal Land Trust. Learn more about eco-friendly tourism and start planning your Oak Island vacation today!
Ecotourism in Oak Island
Ecotourism represents a sustainable approach to traveling, focusing on environmental conservation and benefiting local communities. This form of travel involves visiting natural areas to learn about, appreciate, and enjoy the environment and wildlife, with an emphasis on minimizing both physical and social impacts. Key aspects include responsible travel to natural areas, promoting environmental education, and supporting local conservation and community empowerment. The goal is to engage in the area in ways that are sensitive to both the environment and local cultures, helping travelers connect with and protect the destinations they visit, thus preserving them for future generations.
Eco-friendly Exploration of Oak Island Tips
On the Beach:
- Leave No Trace: Enjoy all that the beaches have to offer but always leave with what you came with. Bring reusable bags with you and avoid plastic.
- Give Back: Volunteer in local beach clean-up efforts or take some time with your friends and family to go around picking up trash.
- Respect Wildlife: Oak Island has some incredible marine and land species but always keep your distance to ensure you're safe and the animals are never harmed.
Out in Nature:
- Hiking & Biking: You can enjoy some great local trails in Oak Island but always stick to the marked paths. Never disturb the local flora & fauna.
- Bring Your Camera: Always feel free to take some amazing pictures of the area but don't ever take anything from the environment as to not disturb the ecosystem.
- On the Water: Kayaking & paddleboarding are extremely popular in Oak Island but always keep your trash in your vessel and never throw anything into the waterways.
Sea Turtle Conservation
Oak Island is not only a great destination for humans but also an essential nesting site for sea turtles. During the nesting season, these turtles, mostly loggerheads, come onto the shore to lay their eggs. It is the responsibility of both locals and tourists to protect these nests and ensure the safe journey of hatchlings to the sea. This is a significant part of ecological conservation effort on the island.
Sea turtles typically nest between the months of May and October. During this time, female turtles venture to the beach under the cover of darkness, dig a hole in the sand, lay their eggs, cover them up, and then return to the ocean. After a period of around 60 days, the hatchlings break free from their shells and begin their dangerous journey to the sea.
Turtle patrols are volunteer-based groups vital in protecting these endangered species and you could possibly volunteer to help! Their responsibilities include marking nests to prevent disturbances, monitoring for hatching, and helping educate the public on sea turtle safety!
How Visitors Can Help
As a visitor, you can play a significant role in turtle conservation:
- Respect Nesting Areas: Avoid disturbing marked nesting sites. Keep a safe distance and do not touch the nests or hatchlings.
- Minimize Beach Lighting: Turn off or shield lights near the beach at night, as they can disorient nesting turtles and hatchlings.
- Keep Beaches Clean: Leave no trash behind. Litter can entangle turtles and other wildlife.
Quick Tips for Eco-Friendly Travel
In Your Rental:
- Energy Conservation: Turn lights off when you're not in the room, turn off appliances when not in use, and moderate the use of air conditioning.
- Waste Reduction: Practice recycling, properly dispose of trash, and minimize the use of single-use plastics.
- Sustainable Dining: Support local eateries that source ingredients locally and offer sustainable seafood options.
- Eco-friendly Transportation: Instead of driving, try walking or biking around the area. If driving is necessary, consider renting an electric or hybrid vehicle.
Travel the Eco-Friendly Way and Book Your Oak Island Vacation Rental
Coastal Vacation Resorts is proud to support eco-friendly practices and we can't wait to host you for your next vacation rental. We offer many vacation rentals throughout Oak Island so you can find the one that's just right for you. From oceanfront to private pools and hot tubs, you'll be able to ensure the perfect Oak Island vacation. Start browsing through our available properties and book your Oak Island vacation rental today for an eco-friendly getaway!